Skip to main content

The Climb (Written by Kyra Organa)

Author's Note: The meaning of this story could be something cringe-y like “to fly, one must first leave the ground and accept the risk of falling” or something. XD

Jason clung to the rock face, clenching his eyes shut as the salty sea breeze whipped his sandy hair around his face.

               “Come on!” a voice exclaimed from above.


               Jason pried his eyes open to see Samantha impatiently glaring down at him from the top of the ledge.

               “Don’t rush me!” Jason replied sourly, groping for a handhold and heaving himself up another foot.

               If I fall, I am going to die.

“You are not going to die,” Samantha laughed as if reading his thoughts.

“Yes, yes I am!” Jason shot back over the whirling of the wind.

“You’re fifteen feet from the ground!”

“That’s enough to die, trust me,” Jason muttered, nervously glancing down at the rocky shore beneath as foaming waves collided with the base of the rocky outcropping, spraying him with sea mist.

“What, you know from experience?” Jested Samantha

“Yes, yes I do,” Jason retorted matter-of-factly.

How does she always talk me into things like this?

“Climb the rock she says,” Jason muttered under his breath, “It’ll be fun, she says. It’s only thirty feet she says.”

“I heard that,” Samantha rolled her eyes.

“I’m turning back!” Jason shouted in frustration. He slowly began to shimmy downwards.

“You’re more than halfway there!” Samantha said. She suddenly looked over her shoulder and gasped, “you gotta see this!” She then disappeared out of view.

“Come back!” Jason cried angrily, face flushing, “Don’t leave me here!”

And she leaves me behind. As always. Should’ve seen that coming.

“You’ll be fine,” Samantha’s distant voice sounded.

No, I won’t.

Jason stopped climbing. It was a long way down and he was almost there. Almost meaning twelve-ish feet.

I’ve been around Samantha too much, he sighed.

Slowly but steadily, Jason progressed up the rock face. Finally, after many attempts to give up, he reached the top.

“Wow, he breathed, stiffly getting to his feet. From this vantage point he could see what seemed to be the entire coast, with its pebbly beaches that faded into brilliantly golden sand. The sand blended with the rich aquamarine waves that seemed to stretch past the horizon.

Then he saw Samantha kneeling in front of a small clump of fluff. Jason slowly stepped forwards. In front of her was a Puffin nest. The mother was aggressively circling around, but the babies were buried up to their heads in airy feathers and squawking passionately.

Maybe it was worth it after all…

“So,” Jason said after a while, “How do we get down?”

Samantha rolled her eyes as if it was obvious. “You can’t be that dense.”

Then, she charged off the cliff and dove into the frigid water.

“Nope!” Jason sighed, flopping down in frustration, “I’m just going to die here.”

Comments

  1. Omg that's hilarious, I love how it ended with Samantha doing something even crazier and Jason just being like 'nope.' Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to channel one of my friends for this, and it was actually very fun to do.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I tried to channel, and it actually was really fun

      Delete
    3. oops. It said it didn't publish. XD

      Delete
    4. Haha! Oof I hate when that happens

      Delete
  2. Samantha sounds way too much like a friend I had when I was younger -shudders-
    She always mocked me for my fear of heights, unaware she was the reason I was scared of them lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Statistics Update and Reader Of The Month Voting!

That's right, we have STATISTICS and VOTING! I love my voting sessions! :D All-Time Views: 23,317 Views in the Last Month: 10,202 Views Yesterday: 262 Views Today (So Far): 121 Most Viewed February Posts: Summer's Eve, by Prudence Spencer, A.K.A. S. Thorston Scarlett; 143 Views Lark Adventures: Birthday Bash...Cat Treat Bombs? by Al: 132 Views 21,426 Views?! by Mark Borne: 98 Views ...how did a simple views update get more than most posts? That seems contradictory. Maybe I need more view updates, then! :D All Time Foreign Country Views: Germany: 1461 Views Russia: 142 Views Portugal: 68 Views France: 43 Views Brazil: 38 Views Other Countries Combined: 64+ Views (I can't see beyond 10 countries) Unknown Regions: 25 Views (How does one be unknown...?) Well, Germany doesn't have much competition, I guess. Still, I appreciate all the views, guys! Total Comments: 1,000 (That's gonna grow, soon) Most Frequent Com

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"