Skip to main content

Pathetic - Short Story [Nexus Exclusive] | Filler with the PoetOfSteel

Pathetic

Short Story by the PoetOfSteel

I picked myself off of the track field as I brushed off the dirt. "Let's try again!"
"You're overworking yourself, Ryan!" Jessie exclaimed.
"Must...be... better!" I gasped. I don't think she notices, but I can't take being called "pathetic" all the time. It's just too much for me to handle now that even some of the staff started calling me that. And oh, I was done with it.
I ran some more laps, about 10, before I started wheezing. I just kept going anyway. I shall NOT quit! Eventually, I collapsed, and Jessie ran over to me.
"Ryan, STOP! This is TOO much! You can't keep-"
"Winning that Track League Competition Finale only...way...to prove...that me not such...thing as chick... chicken." I was breathing hard and fast as Jessie sat me up with a few water bottles, and I drank all 3.
"No Ryan, THIS will make you look worse! You can't keep doing this! Over working your self is not healthy! 66% of male student athletes end up with stress and mental problems from stuff just like this!"
Some kids, including Timothy Goodman, were walking by and I saw me sitting up.
Just sitting there.
And that's when they decided to call me out.
"Pathetic!" They said in sync.
Welp, there goes me being calmed down.
I tackled Timothy and APPARENTLY rammed him into a computer cart guy.
And his computer cart.

-----

"They could press charges!" Principal Keeps hollers.
"Listen, I'm sorry, and I Apple is my favorite tech company, but who in the Sam Hill walks across the track with a computer cart?"
"This isn't about the cart anymore, forget the charges. Why are you-"
"STUDENTS CALL ME PATHETIC! STAFF CALL ME PATHETIC! I AM NOT PATHETIC! AND I SURE-"
"Ok, LISTEN! I WANT...I want to help you with this issue of bullies, AND the staff. Let me take care of them. YOU need to focus on school, ok? I will report this to your parents, but please stay out of trouble."
And then, I have the fear of going home, due to the notification of the parental units...until I got a surprising response from my dad.
"That's my boy!" Dad exclaimed. Mom walked over to me. 
"Unacceptable but acceptable...you get a pass on this one. But please, focus on school!"
"Focus on school? Yeah, it's kinda tough to when I have a million problems." I went to the bathroom to look in the mirror, and I only had a slight bruise on my cheek. I then remember tackling a kid and then throwing repetitive hits...
No, I must concentrate on the contest tonight. Any distractions would lead to complete failure! I quickly ran outside to start practicing laps.
It is tonight, after all.

-----

I took a last glance at my family as I was ready for the race. Some guys tried to call me "pathetic" and my response was: "Listen to yourselves! Bunch of zombies doing whatever the other does. Wow. That's actually...pathetic."
They all stared in shock as the gun was shot, and I ran as fast as I could.
Wow, the shock really did do a number on them. I got a head start in 3rd out of 10th place. I saw Jessie, my parents, and my 8 year old sister Jenna at the stands, and pushed myself to go faster!
I ran past Connor McGibbin and made my way to 2nd place. It was all down to Timothy and I. Classic "I have to beat my main enemy in the final battle" cliche. This meant that I was catching up to him at an alarming rate, even when losing so much oxygen.
"NO!" He exclaimed. "MUST...WIN...RACE!" His rage driving him to win overcame him as he shoved me to the ground...and crossed the finish line first. I sat up in bewilderment as I stared in defeat.
And then I saw a hand.
It was Chad, another annoying kid. "Get up, Wilder." Of course he would refer to my last name. I stood on right leg, and he supported my left.
In fact, 1 by 1, more people started coming around to help! Soon, we were all jogging towards the finish line!
"You lose, Ryan." Timothy smirked in satisfaction at the end of the finish line.
"Actually, YOU lose, Timothy Goodman!" Principal Keeps informed.
"But I-"
"YOU shoved someone, which is against the rules!"
"Since when?" A few of his goonies snickered.
"The Ultimate Runners Guide 2019, Chapter 6, Section 4, Page 2, Paragraph 6. 'Physical contact for non-accidental injury purposes is prohibited, and shall cause for disqualification."

-----

Each runner BUT Timothy got a medal, instead of places, and everyone gathered round to congratulate whoever they were rooting for.
"You won! In a sense. But, still counting it!" Jessie exclaimed, giving me a big hug. The rest of my family came over to congratulate me as well. But I had my eye on someone else.
"Hey, Chad! I believe that you...you did good today."
"Don't expect me to be your friend or anything, but...you were doing well. I couldn't let Timothy cheat, not again." He looked down at his medal. "I don't even deserve this."
"Oh, but you do!" Principal Keeps confirmed. "You stepped up to the plate, and did what was right, not what was favorable. You even-"
"I DESERVE THAT!" Timothy whined, before his mom grabbed his ear.
"LETS GO, YOUNG MAN!"
I watched in satisfaction as he was being pulled towards me.
"APOLOGIZE!"
"NO, MAMA!"
We all looked over at him.
"PATHETIC!"
"CAN EVERYONE STOP SAYING THAT WORD!?" Jessie asked. "JEEZ, YOU ALL ARE SO ANNOYING!"
Everyone looked at her.
"Sorry, but it had to be done."
And with that, we left.

Comments

  1. This

    Is

    Hilarious!


    I love reading this too much! I laughed my head off when i read the meta line "but who in the Sam Hill walks across the track with a computer cart?" It was funny how you subtily mocked praticipation medals.

    Ryan is well written and relaeable (especially with the need to win)

    lol "stuff" It's a great label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank

      You

      !

      Yeah, I've seen the strangest things at school...

      "Stuff" IS a great label! It contains stuff! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"

Nexus Mad Libs

I assume most of you are familiar with what Mad Libs are. Basically, you're given a bunch of blanks to fill in, and you do so without knowing what the story is. Each blank has a part of speech labeling it, and that blank needs something that fits the part of speech. For example: Adjective: ________ --> Adjective: Explosive In the end, we usually have a hilarious end result that makes no sense whatsoever. One example is this (which is a real result I got once with my siblings): "Another way to help you fall asleep faster is drinking a nuclear glass of warm vinegar ." First, let's go over some rules. Obviously, keep it family friendly. This still goes for all blog content. Do not submit two words in a row. Submit one, and when someone else does one, you may do another. Submit through comments. That'll make it easier for me to assemble the final result. The category is Medieval Heroes . Here are the blanks: Adjective: Constipated (Kyra) Per

Q/A With Shaly

This was bound to happen, like so much that the one that is probably next is I don't know... The Poet of Steel or Spitfire or Lady Knight, or just some other crazy. Plus, you guys know the drill. Mark's Addition : So...well...yeah, if anyone else wants to do one, let me know. Apparently, this is the thing to do on my blog right now, though I admit, I have no clue why.