Skip to main content

War for Hogwarts: Episode 9 (A Harry Potter Fanfiction by Mark Borne)


“It’s over!” Mark shouted as he entered the Room of Requirement.
          “Oh, precious,” a cloaked and hooded girl muttered. “You found me. Finally. I was beginning to grow tired of this game of cat and mouse.”
          “You sound familiar,” Mark told her, caught off guard.
          “Yes, I suppose I do,” the girl nodded. Mark caught a brief glimpse of white skin beneath the hood. “I’ve been a valuable part of your education this last year.”
          “Kiera?” Mark asked doubtfully.
          “Oh, forget about her, for just one second, will you?” the girl moaned. “’I’ve convinced Kiera to help me with advanced potions.’ Ugh. She could get stuck in a wormhole for all I care.”
          “Then who are you?” Mark demanded. “And why haven’t you tried to kill me, yet? If you were the one who tried to kill me several other times, then I know you can cast Avada Kedavra.”
          “That’s not the point,” the girl told him. “Don’t you see? That I’m doing this for you? For Sofi?”
          Wait a second…
          “Hogwarts threw out my brother too long ago for following the rules. Your stupid sister was the one who got him cast out. I’m saving this school, by purging all the corruption from this stupid place!”
          “Hailey?” Mark gasped.
          The girl pushed down her hood, and her long blond hair fell out onto her shoulders. Her eyes narrowed at him. “Yes,” Hailey said simply.
          “Then who…” He wanted to ask, Then who tried to kill me in the fields? His question, however, died in his throat. “Why all the torture?”
          “It’s not torture if they just can’t remember,” Hailey countered. “I had to wipe some of your memories. You weren’t offended.”
          “What memories?” Mark demanded, and her smile infuriated him. “Oh, for crying out loud, what would Sofi say?!”
          “It doesn’t matter what she would say, or what she does say!” Hailey screeched. “I’m doing this for her, and she’s going to appreciate it! With new trustworthy teachers, I’m going to make this the ideal magical school for her! Specifically for her!”
          Mark raised his wand. “I can’t let you,” he told her firmly. His mind screamed, however, and he realized he barely knew any spells. All I’ve got is two potions from Sofi, Stupefy, and that’s it! How can I beat Hailey, who’s several years ahead of me?
          Avada Kedavra!” Hailey shouted, and the blazing green light leapt at Mark.
          Expecto Patronum!” Mark countered out of pure hope. He thought of Sofi as he cast it. I’ve got to live!
          A white light countered the deathly green light and Mark’s eyes found a glowing fox-like creature. A Patronus!
          “I did it!” Mark shouted, and Hailey groaned.
          “Enough of the shouting and jokes and all,” Hailey told him. “Just die! Avada Kedavra!”
          Mark simply sidestepped the curse, and feeling confident, lifted his want again. “Flipendo!”
          Hailey flew against the wall and fell to the ground, moaning in pain.
          “Been there, done that,” Mark muttered. He walked over to Hailey. “I’m sorry, but you chose the wrong path. Stupefy!” Hailey’s eyes rolled into the back of her head and she fell backwards. A brilliant wave of red light erupted, throwing Mark against the opposite wall. He got up and saw Dumbledore rushing in, followed by Kiera and Janay.
          “Hailey?” Janay gasped. “But she was a prefect! Is everyone a threat, now?”
          “Not now, no,” Dumbledore told her. “Mark, you have solved a mystery I could not. And more importantly, you have stopped a crisis that was threatening Hogwarts. One-hundred points to Hufflepuff!”

Mark sat silently, waiting for people to arrive at the station, and for the Hogwarts Express to arrive and take him home. I can get answers from Hannah, now. I can find out what happened, what’s going on, who’s really behind all of this.
          He knew Hailey was really just misled by someone else. She was a good girl. She’d never harm her sister. But regardless, her actions had expelled her from Hogwarts, and wizards were posted around her house to monitor her at all times.
          Dumbledore arrived and sat next to Mark. “Why couldn’t she kill me?” Mark asked. “In the fields and in the Room of Requirement. Why couldn’t she kill me?”
          “I suspect it had something to do with love,” Dumbledore responded. “Sofi loves you, and Hailey loves Sofi. Perhaps she realized this and the thought of killing you was painful. You can only truly kill someone if you don’t care. She did.”
          Mark wasn’t satisfied. “Whatever’s going on isn’t going to stop. Someone else is behind all of this, and while I’ve mastered three spells, I’m ages behind in all my classes. I won’t be able to stop any threats next year.”
          “That’s why I brought this,” Dumbledore handed Mark a thick book. “All first year spells and potions. Don’t make the potions, those are disastrous, but the spell book is set to glow green if you get it right, and red if you get it wrong. It’ll also dampen the effects of your spells considerably, so you won’t get arrested for casting spells outside of school. Train hard, Mark. It could be decades before the next attack, but it could also be when you first step foot on the Hogwarts Express to come back here.”
          Mark nodded sorrowfully. “I haven’t gotten a chance to talk with Sofi much. How is she?”
          “Unfortunately, many of the minds of our students have been wiped,” Dumbledore told him. “Few know the outcome. I suspect Sofi will find out, when she discovers her sister was expelled, but who can say for certain. I must go. Take care, Mark.”
          Dumbledore walked away, and Mark felt emptier than ever. He had won the battle, but he had lost a friend, and he felt awful.

THE END

Of Season 1...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"

Nexus Mad Libs

I assume most of you are familiar with what Mad Libs are. Basically, you're given a bunch of blanks to fill in, and you do so without knowing what the story is. Each blank has a part of speech labeling it, and that blank needs something that fits the part of speech. For example: Adjective: ________ --> Adjective: Explosive In the end, we usually have a hilarious end result that makes no sense whatsoever. One example is this (which is a real result I got once with my siblings): "Another way to help you fall asleep faster is drinking a nuclear glass of warm vinegar ." First, let's go over some rules. Obviously, keep it family friendly. This still goes for all blog content. Do not submit two words in a row. Submit one, and when someone else does one, you may do another. Submit through comments. That'll make it easier for me to assemble the final result. The category is Medieval Heroes . Here are the blanks: Adjective: Constipated (Kyra) Per

Q/A With Shaly

This was bound to happen, like so much that the one that is probably next is I don't know... The Poet of Steel or Spitfire or Lady Knight, or just some other crazy. Plus, you guys know the drill. Mark's Addition : So...well...yeah, if anyone else wants to do one, let me know. Apparently, this is the thing to do on my blog right now, though I admit, I have no clue why.