Skip to main content

War for Hogwarts: Episode 7 (A Harry Potter Fanfiction by Mark Borne)


“Not many can survive a killing curse,” Dumbledore congratulated Mark when he woke up. Mark found he was in the hospital wing.
          “What…happened?” he asked, a headache keeping him from piecing together the last events of his memory.
          “Someone tried to kill you,” Dumbledore replied. “Like I said, with a killing curse. Remarkable, really, that you were so resilient against it.”
          “A killing curse?”
          “Yes,” Dumbledore said. He smiled at Mark. “You would make a great Ravenclaw. Why did the Sorting Hat choose Hufflepuff for you?”
          “I think…” Mark thought hard, and it was difficult to recall the event. He’d have believed he had been hit by an Amnesia Curse before he thought of Avada Kedavra. “I think because I didn’t want to be a part of them. I think the Sorting Hat was trying to teach me something.”
          Dumbledore nodded knowingly. “We don’t all get what we wish, do we? But likewise, it can be for much better purposes than we anticipated. You wish to know why you survived the killing curse, don’t you?”
          “Yes, sir, if you know the answer,” Mark nodded enthusiastically. His was much faster than Dumbledore’s had been.
          “I don’t know,” Dumbledore said, his strange smile returning. “Hailey can’t remember last night, but he says she remembers a bright beam of light. She believes you cast a Patronus right before the curse struck you.”
          “What do you believe, though?” Mark asked. Dumbledore only looked down. “I know you have an idea of what happened. Please, tell me. I could have died. I should have died. Why am I alive?”
          “At present, it is not for me to say,” Dumbledore told Mark. “I do believe Kiera and Sofi have both been waiting for you. It seems you’re popular with the girls?”
          “It helps that boys aren’t nearly as outgoing,” Mark shrugged.
          Dumbledore stood up. “Well, Mark, I’ll let to catch up with your peers. I do believe you have missed out on a few classes. A couple months of classes, actually.”
          “A couple months?!” Mark exclaimed, and suddenly, if any thought of sleep remained, it vanished. “What’s happened since that night?!”
          “So much,” Dumbledore told Mark. “And a lot of that isn’t good.” He lifted his arms up in an exhausted gesture. “Stress doesn’t look too great on me, does it?” Mark could tell that Dumbledore looked a little heavier, probably from stress eating, and he suspected it had a lot to do with candy. Dumbledore gave Mark a final smile, a little nod, and left.
          “That was cryptic,” Mark noted. But Dumbledore had said something useful: Kiera and Sofi wanted to see him. Kiera would probably want to punch him to check if he was really dead or not, but Sofi would be open to updating him, wouldn’t she?

“I have no real clue,” Sofi shrugged, wincing as she saw his downcast face. “Mark, there’s some sort of Amnesia curse, and you’re asking me to remember. It’s too much effort for me to remember to take liquid luck before Snape begins teaching, let alone remember specific events.”
          Mark sagged against the couch in the Hufflepuff common room. “Why is everything so complicated?”
          “Because this is real-world stuff that is being pressed upon children,” Sofi told him, her voice somewhat harsh. “You can’t be expected to solve this, and yet you are.”
          Mark and Sofi sat in silence. Finally, Mark broke the silence. “I tried to train, and I just got more behind. I might have mastered a Patronus, sure, but I forgot all about it, so I can’t be certain how I succeeded, if I did.”
          “You can do it,” Sofi told him. “I know you can. Well, not the Amnesia Curse thing. I have no clue about that. But I know you can summon a Patronus. You’re more talented than me, and I’ve mastered mine, so you can do yours.”
          “You mastered Expecto Patronum?” Mark asked her, half expecting it to be a joke.
          “Yeah,” She blushed slightly. “Mine turns out to be a badger, which is cool, given how it’s on our house crest. Professor Flitwick told me I must be a remarkable Hufflepuff.”
          Mark frowned and shook his head sadly. Everyone else is way ahead of me, now. What am I going to do?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"

Nexus Mad Libs

I assume most of you are familiar with what Mad Libs are. Basically, you're given a bunch of blanks to fill in, and you do so without knowing what the story is. Each blank has a part of speech labeling it, and that blank needs something that fits the part of speech. For example: Adjective: ________ --> Adjective: Explosive In the end, we usually have a hilarious end result that makes no sense whatsoever. One example is this (which is a real result I got once with my siblings): "Another way to help you fall asleep faster is drinking a nuclear glass of warm vinegar ." First, let's go over some rules. Obviously, keep it family friendly. This still goes for all blog content. Do not submit two words in a row. Submit one, and when someone else does one, you may do another. Submit through comments. That'll make it easier for me to assemble the final result. The category is Medieval Heroes . Here are the blanks: Adjective: Constipated (Kyra) Per

Q/A With Shaly

This was bound to happen, like so much that the one that is probably next is I don't know... The Poet of Steel or Spitfire or Lady Knight, or just some other crazy. Plus, you guys know the drill. Mark's Addition : So...well...yeah, if anyone else wants to do one, let me know. Apparently, this is the thing to do on my blog right now, though I admit, I have no clue why.