Skip to main content

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Last night, at about 8:25, I got to preorder the game. I literally preordered the game less than 4 hours to its release in the United States, so I'm actually not quite sure how much of a preorder it is. Anyways, point is, I have the game, and at the time of which you're reading this article, installation has probably finished and I've probably logged on.

Now, I've done a lot of research into this game, and there are some initial points I'd like to bring up about it. (Note that as of writing this article, I still haven't tried the game firsthand.)

Pros:
  1. Lightsaber customization is, apparently, amazing. You can customize the top part of your lightsaber, the bottom part of it, the material it's made from, and the lightsaber blade color itself. Jedi: Fallen Order is also the first time an orange lightsaber blade is canon, however you can only obtain it by preordering the game. (Even if you preorder a couple of minutes before release, which definitely isn't a preorder. And I bet some've done that.)
  2. You can't button-mash through the game. This seems like a con at first glance, but the flip side is, you have to strategize your combat. Jumping in and slamming your attack button will likely get you killed. You need to learn to parry attacks, wait for openings, and sometimes restrain yourself from entering battle until a battle between those weird flame beetles and stormtroopers has ended, so you don't have to fight two armies. I love, love, love, love, love strategic combat.
  3. PLENTY of content to explore. I could be playing for a month and probably still not finish everything. One person said he played 3 hours and only explored 30% of one planet, out of an unknown number of planets (it's known, just not by me. I'm avoiding spoilers). Another person did 8 hours worth of livestreams, strictly following the story, and from what I can tell, he's still on the second planet. That second guy actually said something along the lines of, "It's definitely not a game you can speedrun in 5-6 hours. Maybe if you dedicated about 20 hours, maybe you could speedrun it? I don't know, I'd have to finish the game, first, but that's my first impression." So, PLENTY of content.
Now, the cons:
  1. Absolutely zero fast travel. So if you walk away from your ship and explore in one direction for thirty minutes, it's going to take thirty minutes to get back to your ship. Honestly, I think they should add a fast travel function, but only for getting to your ship. I don't care about branching out and exploring the world, but as the earlier mentioned second person said, "There's no side quests or random encounters, so there's really nothing to do but walk back through places you've already been, and kill enemies if they've respawned."
  2. Cal, BD-1, and ship customizations are pretty useless. With Cal, you can essentially just change the color of his poncho (or remove it altogether), and change the color of his actual outfit. BD-1 seems to have decent customization options, but it's really just different pattern and color combos. And you won't see much of the outside of the ship, so that's literally pointless. Maybe give Cal certain accessories, and BD-1 could have patterns and colors separate of each other? The ship's always going to be pointless, though.
  3. There is no third con. Yet.
So, anyways, after a few days of playing the game, I'll leave a "First Impressions" review, and when I finish, I'll leave a "Full" review and a "Story" review.

If you stuck with me through this entire article, thanks! My rambling filler posts can be burdensome (to read as well as to write), I think, so I appreciate it.

Comments

  1. You lucky duck. I have to wait until Christmas.
    No fast travel? O_O that's not gonna be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, the lack of fast travel isn't bothering me. I just finished the tutorial and completed, like, 75% of the starter planet (and then traveled to the next planet), and it's actually fun. The route I took to get back to the ship was a new route for me, and I accidentally stumbled into a secret boss fight (I was worried I was going to die, for a moment), which gave me an extra skill point and some neat rewards :D

      Delete
  2. Yay! You got Jedi Fallen order!

    So... If you're. new gamer, the need for strategics and lack of fast-travel is a deterrent. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lack of fast travel is definitely a deterrent. And the strategic combat part isn't that bad, actually. I'm only on story mode, sure, so all the enemies are scaled down, but it's mostly just keeping an eye on every enemy and making sure they don't surround you. Then you just block attacks, and when you see an opening, start slamming down the attack button

      The only super annoying fight I've encountered was against the Second Sister in the tutorial, but mostly because it was designed to be unbeatable. You just had to survive long enough and the next part of the story would kick in

      Delete
    2. That's just rude. Only way to beat said person now is to hack the system! -Grabs a bunch of extra tech-

      Delete
    3. Lol You get to defeat her later on. Then _________ kills her before turning and trying to kill you :) (HUGE spoilers, sorry lol)

      Delete
  3. How far have you gotten in the game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finished the storyline, and I've completed at least 91% of the total game (though I explored for an extra 30 minutes after that and didn't check my progress, so I might've gotten to 92%)

      After I achieve 100%, I'm going to start a new game on the highest difficulty :D

      Delete
    2. HOW DID YOU BEAT THE WHOLE 20 HOUR CAMPAIGN IN 3 DAYS

      Delete
    3. Well, it's not really a 20 hour campaign. A youtuber's first impression was that a 20 hour speedrun might be able to do it, but as the story goes on, it becomes more fast-paced, and things move a lot faster, so the length of the game is easy to overestimate

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"

Nexus Mad Libs

I assume most of you are familiar with what Mad Libs are. Basically, you're given a bunch of blanks to fill in, and you do so without knowing what the story is. Each blank has a part of speech labeling it, and that blank needs something that fits the part of speech. For example: Adjective: ________ --> Adjective: Explosive In the end, we usually have a hilarious end result that makes no sense whatsoever. One example is this (which is a real result I got once with my siblings): "Another way to help you fall asleep faster is drinking a nuclear glass of warm vinegar ." First, let's go over some rules. Obviously, keep it family friendly. This still goes for all blog content. Do not submit two words in a row. Submit one, and when someone else does one, you may do another. Submit through comments. That'll make it easier for me to assemble the final result. The category is Medieval Heroes . Here are the blanks: Adjective: Constipated (Kyra) Per

Q/A With Shaly

This was bound to happen, like so much that the one that is probably next is I don't know... The Poet of Steel or Spitfire or Lady Knight, or just some other crazy. Plus, you guys know the drill. Mark's Addition : So...well...yeah, if anyone else wants to do one, let me know. Apparently, this is the thing to do on my blog right now, though I admit, I have no clue why.