Skip to main content

"Just Say Goodbye": Meet the Characters

This is the first post I have written for my upcoming NaNoWriMo novel, "Just Say Goodbye"! In it, I am going to introduce some of the key characters for the story!

Ethan W. Grant
Ethan is a 15 year old boy. He was born in Big Sandy, Texas, and lived there for all fifteen years of his life. He's the protagonist, and the story follows his perspective.
Ethan is very shy and prefers to spend time alone, although there are a few friends that are exceptions to that. Among his friends, he's very considerate and observant, although as the story will reveal, he can be dense about some things.
In terms of Hogwarts houses, he could be considered a Ravenclaw. To him, knowledge is key, and he's always looking for more explanations. He has a low-key obsession with riddles, not unlike me, although he does talk more about riddles than I do. Kudos to Ethan for that.

Amy N. Travis
Amy is also 15 years old, and has lived in Big Sandy, Texas her entire life as well. For as long as she or Ethan could remember, they've been taking every chance to hang out. They're best friends, despite their many differences.
Unlike Ethan, Amy is pretty much always dense. You'd practically have to spell out how you feel for her to understand the picture. Ironically, she's also super outgoing and tries to make as many friends as possible.
Amy would definitely be sorted into Hufflepuff if she went to Hogwarts. As mentioned above, she values friendship.
Her initials are a reference to my pen name. (Mirror Ant, A.N.T.)

Evelyn C. Grant
Evelyn is Ethan's 13 year old sister. She often goes by her middle name (Which I have not come up with yet; anyone have any ideas? Even the C could be changed, I just need ideas for middle names for her) since she dislikes the fact that she shares a first initial with her big brother.
Evelyn would for sure be classified as a Slytherin. She loves tricks and pranks, and in the end, she always wants to be the best of the best. She is far from dense, and so she can easily tell Ethan and Amy have feelings for each other, and spends much of the story trying to get them to admit their feelings to each other.

Brian F. Goodman
Brian moved to Big Sandy, Texas when he was eight, and at the time of the story, he is 16 years old. Ethan is his best friend, so at times, he's felt a little jealous of Amy. Ironically, he also has feelings for Amy, and he knows that Ethan has feelings for her, too. He's the eventual antagonist of the story.
Like Evelyn, he's a Slytherin at heart. While he's willing to help friends out, that willingness vanishes if a friend's interest conflicts with his own.
Brian's initials are a reference to the novel, "The BFG" by Roald Dahl.

10/15/2019: 

Irene L. Yang
Irene is one of Ethan's newer friends, but he spends a lot of time with her. While she's a lot younger, he enjoys her company and feels more free to talk about how he feels about Amy with her. He's one of the few people Ethan actually fully opens up to.
Irene would be a total Hufflepuff. She loves having friends. She just has trouble making friends...
Her initials are "I.L.Y.", which is a semi-common texting abbreviation that stands for "I love you".

Seriously, if you guys ever need name ideas, find common abbreviations and make names that fit them, it's super helpful for making character names fast and creatively.

Comments

  1. Wow this sounds like an interesting story, do we get to read as you write? Because I really love this already xD

    As for the middle name, Claire, Clarissa, Cammy, Camillia, Carrie, Carla, or Charise :)

    If you change it from C, June, April, Twilight, Delilah, Misty, Hope, Joy, May, Maddy, or Madelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't get to read EVERYTHING, but I will post the occasional spoiler-free snippet if I can :)

      As far as middle names you provided that I like: Claire, Camillia, Carrie, April, May

      I also really, really like Twilight and Misty, but I think they'd be best suited for a different genre entirely, so I'll probably hold onto those for another story if you don't mind

      Delete
    2. -.- fine, at least I get to read some, it sounds really good so far xD
      And yay! I'm glad you liked some
      Ofc! I love both of them too, I feel like a fantasy novel would suit those well

      Delete
  2. I love the variety of personalities!

    Cat. I feel like that name is unique and will work for her personality. Or Christina.

    So the little sister playing matchmaker. This is gonna be good.XD

    Alright, already my favorite characters are Amy and Evelyn. They seem really entertainig and relatable!

    I'venever seem you write love triangles that lasted more than one scene, so this is gonna be new

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too :D

      Huh. Cat does sound interesting...not using Christina, though. You've ruined my kindly viewpoint on that name lol

      Yes, it is xD

      My favorite one is probably gonna be Evelyn. I've got good plans for her :D

      It's because I generally don't like love triangles. The entire plot here is based on one, though

      Delete
    2. Aw! but it begins with a C! What about Christie?

      YES! Can you blab any, yet?

      The best way to become a great author is to step out of your comfort zones (like me writng romance in my book)

      Delete
    3. :P

      I can blab, yes :D Now the question is, "Are you going to blab, yet?" The answer is, "No, I don't think I will." (GUESS THE REFERENCE!!!)

      Yikes, comfort zones...must I really, though? O.O

      Delete
    4. I got that reference!

      Not always, but it helps you learn from your mistakes.

      Delete
  3. Is Irene the friend-zoned friend? (Just judging by the way i predict your story going and the fact that her initials mean "I love you")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm uncertain what "friend-zoned friend" means, tbh

      But her initials mean nothing to the actual story. It's just a bit of trivia. I use things like abbreviations to come up with character names all the time if I haven't already figured out the character's name. "ILY" was the first abbreviation on the list that I hadn't tackled, and "Irene" sprung to mind immediately, so all that remained was finding a last name, and that wasn't super hard

      (Fun fact: Irene is going to be my first Asian-American character ever)

      Delete
    2. It means that Irene is the friend who had/still has feelings for one of the characters, but the person doesn't feel the same way, so they stay friends.

      Chari in my book, if she was on earth and not an alien, she'd be Korean (ha! beat ya!)

      Delete
    3. Not really. They're more like siblings (Also, Irene's a lot younger, as the post claims, so I probably wouldn't actually do that anyways)

      Lol Cool!

      Delete
    4. Oh yeah, true. If you did that, though, your book would be a love square, which would make things even more complicated. XD

      that's cool, though. I think entertainment is thoroughly lacking in sibling-like relationships, so this is awesome!

      Delete
    5. Lol Yeah, it would make it more complicated xD And ordinarily, complicated sounds like me -shrug-

      It will be, hopefully :D

      Delete
    6. True. But a love square is complicated, but not YOU complicated. You complicated is a love icositetragon. XD

      Delete
  4. Or just a love icosagon -shrug- You give me too much credit lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. If you're anything like me, you're lazy, and anything bigger than a icosagon is just too much work. XD

      Delete
  5. Irene reminds me of Gabby. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Statistics Update and Reader Of The Month Voting!

That's right, we have STATISTICS and VOTING! I love my voting sessions! :D All-Time Views: 23,317 Views in the Last Month: 10,202 Views Yesterday: 262 Views Today (So Far): 121 Most Viewed February Posts: Summer's Eve, by Prudence Spencer, A.K.A. S. Thorston Scarlett; 143 Views Lark Adventures: Birthday Bash...Cat Treat Bombs? by Al: 132 Views 21,426 Views?! by Mark Borne: 98 Views ...how did a simple views update get more than most posts? That seems contradictory. Maybe I need more view updates, then! :D All Time Foreign Country Views: Germany: 1461 Views Russia: 142 Views Portugal: 68 Views France: 43 Views Brazil: 38 Views Other Countries Combined: 64+ Views (I can't see beyond 10 countries) Unknown Regions: 25 Views (How does one be unknown...?) Well, Germany doesn't have much competition, I guess. Still, I appreciate all the views, guys! Total Comments: 1,000 (That's gonna grow, soon) Most Frequent Com

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"