Skip to main content

Death Before Happiness (Poem by Mark Borne)

My lady, my lady,
Where are you?
I stand here all alone.
I watch the oceans,
but no boats come,
I watch the skies,
But even the birds are few.
My lady, my lady,
What happened?
It's not meant to be,
Never was, never will,
See each other again we won't,
For I am the eye of the storm,
Chaos swirling around me,
In a deadly vortex of doom.
You left me defenseless,
You left me alone,
How can that be repaired,
Among my broken trust?
But with you the storm is silent,
With you the sea is calm.
If only I could reach that center,
That point of chaotic safety,
Then perhaps we could find,
What both of us have lost.
I never really left you,
Not really, anyways,
Simply found myself,
In a new place with new friends.
But never can you be replaced,
For you are my lady,
And I am your knight.
Death before happiness,
Is the only thing we'll find.
Sorrow and pain have always,
Lurked around the corner,
Waiting to strike us and
break us apart.
Even if we could be fixed,
If we could be together again,
The forces still pursue us,
With their ally Heartbreak.
If we really find ourselves,
Together once more,
Then death before happiness,
Is all we'll ever know.

Mark's Addition: This writing style was inspired off of some of Marysa's writing; the dialogue shifts positioning on the page as a new speaker arises. I guess it's kinda the paragraphs of poetry. Anyways, this is sort of what I'd imagine a conversation between me and an old friend would go. My unrealistic optimism facing her unyielding realism. This in no way is related to the friend mentioned in my poem, "Sick", and none of these feelings are ones I actually feel, but it does sum up how I spent 2-3 years of my life, and it does show my fears for the future.

Comments

  1. Ooh, I love this! This is so pretty and very in depth. I love the back and forth, since it flows very well as a poetic conversation of sorts. Death before happiness is a very interesting title and phrase--and one, frankly, I have not really heard before; it really absorbs one's attention. Anyway, I loved this poem. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I invented the title/phrase, tbh; just for a different setting and purpose lol. As for the writing style, it's copied off of one of Marysa's writing styles
      Anywho, glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Mark. I love the symbolism, imagery, and language. This is one of your best poems. And it almost made me cry. Its very beautiful and emotional. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I guess? Lol Not sure if that's a good thing that I almost made you cry XD

      Delete
    2. Some people cry of joy, so that's probably what she meant. I think.

      Delete
  3. Oooh this is so good, Mark! I really enjoyed reading this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this
    thanks for the credit on the style lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"

Q/A With Shaly

This was bound to happen, like so much that the one that is probably next is I don't know... The Poet of Steel or Spitfire or Lady Knight, or just some other crazy. Plus, you guys know the drill. Mark's Addition : So...well...yeah, if anyone else wants to do one, let me know. Apparently, this is the thing to do on my blog right now, though I admit, I have no clue why.

Nexus Mad Libs

I assume most of you are familiar with what Mad Libs are. Basically, you're given a bunch of blanks to fill in, and you do so without knowing what the story is. Each blank has a part of speech labeling it, and that blank needs something that fits the part of speech. For example: Adjective: ________ --> Adjective: Explosive In the end, we usually have a hilarious end result that makes no sense whatsoever. One example is this (which is a real result I got once with my siblings): "Another way to help you fall asleep faster is drinking a nuclear glass of warm vinegar ." First, let's go over some rules. Obviously, keep it family friendly. This still goes for all blog content. Do not submit two words in a row. Submit one, and when someone else does one, you may do another. Submit through comments. That'll make it easier for me to assemble the final result. The category is Medieval Heroes . Here are the blanks: Adjective: Constipated (Kyra) Per