Skip to main content

Watching Time (Novel): Chapter 5 (The Seaquarium)


The vacation drew out and became very long and annoying, but the Miami Seaquarium thankfully changed that.
          “What’s the Seaquarium?” Myra asked the group hesitantly on the drive over, and Mark was astonished.
          “You have never heard of it?”
          “Not really,” Myra shrugged, and Mark caught a hint of hostility in her gaze, as if she wanted anyone but him to respond.
          Did she overhear? John must’ve been right. We woke her up.
          The thought of John being right pained Mark. Mark had always been right, until John had showed up.
          “The Seaquarium is a famous aquarium,” Naomi supplied, in her matter-of-fact voice that she always lapsed into, almost as if she was a tour guide. “It contains many creatures, such as manatees, dolphins, and penguins.” She snapped back into her excited-fan-girl voice. “My favorite thing to do is the Sea Trek adventure! You get to scuba dive and see all these creatures up close! And they have a big shark there!”
          “Not to mention a goliath grouper, which could beat any of us up if it wanted to,” Mark added.
          “The goliath grouper there is actually small,” John corrected him. “It weighs about three hundred pounds, I’d guess? Your normal goliath grouper would weigh around six hundred to seven hundred.”
          Yep. There goes John, trying to one-up me again.
          Mark remained silent the rest of the trip as everyone filled in details for Myra, so that she would be just as excited as everyone else to be going.
          Well, as excited as everyone but Mark.

Myra was disappointed. She had expected a huge indoor building or something, with exhibits and such. Instead, it was completely outdoors, except for a large building in the center, which was also where the Sea Trek was, and the occasional gift shop.
          Who needs three gift shops in such close proximity? It’s like they’re begging you to waste your money.
          Then again, if the people who visit are like Earl, they can probably afford to waste money.
          The first stop was to see a dolphin show. Myra found herself smiling at the dolphins, which would perform flips and other tricks, but she found it disappointing, overall. I guess that’s what happens when everyone makes it seem like a huge phenomenon when, in actuality, it’s just a dolphin obeying simple commands. Like a dog.
          When she thought of it, it was a lot like a dog. It watched for commands, obeyed them, and then the faculty would award the dolphin with a treat. At least it didn’t seem like the dolphins were being abused. That would push me off the edge.
          After a bunch of wandering around, and petting several kinds of creatures in the touch pool (Myra was surprised how docile the nurse shark was), they went to an orca presentation.
          Myra found herself giddily laughing every time the massive orca leapt out of the water, because she knew that when it landed, the splash would be big enough to completely soak her in water. The water impacted her hard, and as she looked at Fia, who sat stunned and furious at having wet glasses and no place to dry them, she was glad she had perfect vision.
          And then, eventually, came the time for the Sea Trek adventure.

“I think this wetsuit is a little too small,” Myra complained as they walked in their wetsuits to the exhibit they were going to be diving in.
          “Does it feel like it’s choking you a little?” John asked.
          “Yeah,” Myra nodded.
          “That’s how you know it fits just right,” John shrugged. “I hate the feeling, but move a size up and it might as well be called a rash guard instead.”
          “Oh,” Myra mumbled. “I haven’t really been scuba diving before, obviously.”
          “Neither have I,” John told her with a grin. “Well, other than this, but this doesn’t could as real scuba diving, according to some sources.”
          “It really doesn’t,” Naomi notified them.
          “Not one bit,” agreed Mark.
          “They are certified scuba divers, so take their word for it,” John advised, and he watched Myra smile.
          He liked that smile. It was comforting.
          You met her less than a week ago and you’re already falling for her?
          He turned his head to face the path in front of him and mentally disciplined himself.
          When they got to the site, the dive masters replayed the instructions and hand signals.
          “When you’re going down the ladder,” one said, “you’ll want to equalize every couple steps. If you begin feeling pressure in your ears, that’s a sign you want to equalize. If you find it difficult, move back up a bit and then try again.”
          And then they went over the different ways to equalize the air pressure in your ears, although John figured that wiggling his jaw would be easiest. He knew Naomi, Mark, and Earl, who were used to traditional dive equipment, would pinch their nose and gently breath through it. It was the only way to equalize, normally.
          But they were using state-of-the-art dive helmets, which worked like an upside-down cup. A nose connected the helmet to the surface, ensuring that there was plenty of air for the divers to breath.
          These helmets allowed you to wear glasses underwater, breath as you would on dry land, and gave you the ability to drop your jaw without having a surge of liquid entering your mouth. Because of this, wiggling your jaw, yawning, and wiggling your ears, alongside swallowing, worked for equalization.
          Just like going into the air, or up into the mountains.
          The water was cold, but it wasn’t bad, since he was used to swimming in Colorado. He found his ears gain pressure every step down the stairs, which wasn’t a problem. Once he reached the bottom, the pressure stopped increasing, and he felt normal. Well, normal for the most part. The water created a peaceful atmosphere, and made everything seem lighter. Walking seemed unstable, as if gravity didn’t have as much influence over those underwater.
          The coolest part was that the helmet, which weighed more than seventy pounds, was pretty light. He could feel it press down against his head, but it was very bearable.
          He watched Myra climb down the ladder next, and almost laughed when he saw her face. Her eyes were wide and she seemed terrified. Then again, who isn’t scared of the unknown?

Myra couldn’t believe her eyes. She mouthed, “Is this for reals?” to John, who nodded and grinned. She glanced around at the fish, which swarmed around her, and stared in awe as a giant fish swam close to the ground, eyeing her carefully. That must be the goliath grouper Mark was talking about!
          And then a ray passed right by her face, causing her to involuntarily step back. She stepped on a bit of coral, and begun to fall backwards, and water began leaking into her helmet-
          Until a dive master steadied her and helped her back upright. The hose in her helmet allowed enough air to come in to drain the water back to a normal level for this kind of diving, just as they promised it would.
          She followed the dive guide through the exhibit, noting the many different creatures. Her one complaint was how freezing cold the water was. It’ll take me hours to warm up!

“The water was cold!” Earl exclaimed in the van on the way back home. He had promised to stop at some Taco Bell and get everyone food. Apparently, it was everyone’s favorite restaurant.
          “I didn’t mind it,” John told Earl.
          Naomi frowned at that. Of course you didn’t. You never mind anything.
          But she held her tongue. She glanced to Myra, who sat beside her. “You’re still shivering,” she commented.
          “I c-c-can’t warm u-u-up,” Myra muttered, teeth chattering.
          “That’s obvious,” Naomi laughed. She took off her coat, which was no easy feat thanks to the seat belt, and handed it to Myra, who reluctantly took it.
          Maybe there’s hope after all. Maybe some buried part of Myra really does want to be happy.
          Maybe I can finally have a sister.

Comments

  1. This is a lighter chapter and I really enjoyed it because of that. I couldn't find any type-os or anything. Way to go, you're making my job harder.😝
    I really think Myra is warming up and I'm curious (AKA dying with curiosity) how her relationship with Naomi and John will evolve.
    What? John had a thing for Myra? I had no clue. It goes to show how good I am at these things. :P
    The lines "Mark had always been right, until John had showed up" and "Yep. There goes John, trying to one-up me again" remind me of you and me. XD





    She snapped back into her excited-fan-girl voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops. That thing at the end was a typo on my part. That line (She snapped back into her excited-fan-girl voice) is so relatable. Naomi going back and forth between excited fan-girl and know-it-all (in a good way) tour guide is a summary of how I talk. XD

      Delete
    2. Lol Glad to know you have to work hard to find mistakes XD
      You'll have to wait and see; it might be in February when I start actually working on the story more, though, because I'm gonna be gone most of January, and I've gotta work on upkeeping the blog (and my Experimental Stories blog needs to get set up, too), so it's gonna be a bit :P
      Lol There were only hints at it in Chapter 4, and precisely 0 evidence of it in earlier chapters, so I don't blame you XD
      Yep, I showed up, and suddenly you find being right a lot more difficult :) Being John is really cool! And you finally get to experience what it's like to be Mark (think about that when writing Mark And Kyra Doing Dumb Stuff Pt 3 and beyond

      Delete
  2. I just got caught up reading every chapter of this story up to this point, and I am really interested at what's happening so far. Myra seems to be opening up more when compared to chapter 1 and 2 (it's understandable why she's closed off. She lost her parents, after all). I'm really excited to see what will happen in future chapters with the furthering dynamic. Also, I like that you include internal thought for other characters as an omniscient narrator. It gives more dimension to other characters, such as Mark, for example. I'm looking forward to see how this story progresses, and I can't wait for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has opened up more; just wait, though...
      Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! :D

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited for the next chapter, these pieces are always so good! I love hearing about their adventures, and their relationships. Aww John's crush on Myra is soooo sweet! I hope they end up being a couple, that would be so perfect! I like the dialogue too and how its in third person I think, I'm so used to first, it's odd reading from another perspective, but interesting! That last line was really sweet too! When will the next chapter be posted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It may be, but you barely know John, just like how you barely know Mark. We have yet to truly explore the boys of the story, so you never know...
      First is a lot more popular than third, but I grew up writing third, so it's a lot easier for me, and my personal preference -shrug-
      Idk, probably late January or early February; I've got a lot on my plate, atm

      Delete
    2. You're welcome!
      Ah, I know, the focus seemed to be a lot of Myra and Naomi at first but I like the switch to learning more about the boys, and yes, I barely know them yet but I sense a connection and again it's super sweet, I mean he said it himself he thinks he's falling for her!
      And true, I like the third person though, I'm not used to it so it seems odd, but I like getting to know all of the characters thoughts at once, rather than the focus being on just one!
      Ah, okay, I'll be excited to read it!

      Delete
  4. I was annoyed with Myra bc I love aquariums and then "Myra found herself giddily laughing," like finally, enjoy the marine life. Though, this seems more like seaworld....where I've never been. “I think this wetsuit is a little too small,” They're supposed to be snug, or they fill with water. I'd much rather use a dive helmet lol This sounds like fun i wanna go to a place like this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I based it entirely off of the Seaquarium, and added a few exaggerations lol. It was pretty anti-climactic, but since I won the tickets, I don't care, I had fun regardless

      That would be why John asked her if it was choking a tiny bit lol. And dive helmets aren't that fun. Outside of the water, it weighs about 70-80 pounds, and it's resting on your head. Not your shoulders, your head. Underwater, it's only 14 pounds, but it's still heavy. I personally like mask. Then again, I have really short hair, so masks don't bother me much; hair length makes a big difference

      Delete
    2. I've never actually tried the helmet tbh, but it seems so much better. I don't like the suction in the mask. What about pressure? I know my dive instructor told us if your ears were popping there's a way to prevent nose bleeds and ear damage, but you can only do that with a mask

      Delete
    3. Personal opinion, I suppose lol

      There are several ways to do it. Wiggling your jaw, swallowing hard, chewing, and wiggling your ears are all ways to equalize the pressure. Wiggling your jaw and chewing cannot be done unless you have a dive helmet. Swallowing hard doesn't seem to work, although you can do it. Wiggling your ears is just stupid and dangerous underwater, unless you've got a dive helmet. The way you learned was probably squeezing your nose and blowing out of it gently, which is the only method you can use with a mask, but it's also the most effective if you master it. With the dive helmet I had, I could reach under the helmet and perform any of the methods I chose (I actually swallowed a lot, so I didn't need to reach under). The downside was I couldn't look down, I could only look horizontally

      Delete
    4. Yea it was
      And oh, yea, looking down would be a bit of an issue, wouldn't it? What about those full face masks?

      Delete
    5. The Seaquarium didn't provide any full-face masks, and I wouldn't have used one lol. I still like new experiences like this. If I went again, though, I'd ask if I had to use a dive helmet or if they had more traditional dive equipment

      Delete
    6. that's because full face masks are super expensive
      why wouldn't you use one?

      Delete
    7. You'd think 75 pound state-of-the-art dive helmets made with titanium were expensive, too lol. They had quality tech, just not options

      The mask generally allows for more mobility, plus it's what I know how to use. I've used standard dive masks for longer than I've been writing

      Delete
    8. yea, the mobility would be nice
      and uhm.....yea, probably, but they were probably thinking what the safest would be

      Delete
    9. It is -nods-

      Lol It's definitely safe for inexperienced divers. I kept tripping over myself, though, because I wasn't used to no fins, I kept looking down and had to constantly drain water out of my helmet, and my glasses almost fell off several times. It's not safest for me XD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Statistics Update and Reader Of The Month Voting!

That's right, we have STATISTICS and VOTING! I love my voting sessions! :D All-Time Views: 23,317 Views in the Last Month: 10,202 Views Yesterday: 262 Views Today (So Far): 121 Most Viewed February Posts: Summer's Eve, by Prudence Spencer, A.K.A. S. Thorston Scarlett; 143 Views Lark Adventures: Birthday Bash...Cat Treat Bombs? by Al: 132 Views 21,426 Views?! by Mark Borne: 98 Views ...how did a simple views update get more than most posts? That seems contradictory. Maybe I need more view updates, then! :D All Time Foreign Country Views: Germany: 1461 Views Russia: 142 Views Portugal: 68 Views France: 43 Views Brazil: 38 Views Other Countries Combined: 64+ Views (I can't see beyond 10 countries) Unknown Regions: 25 Views (How does one be unknown...?) Well, Germany doesn't have much competition, I guess. Still, I appreciate all the views, guys! Total Comments: 1,000 (That's gonna grow, soon) Most Frequent Com

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"