Skip to main content

Watching Time (Novel): Chapter 3 (Untold Stories)


Naomi threw the present hard against the wall and cried out in frustration. All she wanted to do was be Myra’s friend, but she couldn’t get close. After thirty minutes of sobbing endlessly, she managed to get a hold of her emotions and calm down. She hasn’t even been here twenty-four hours, yet. I can’t expect her to accept me with open arms.
          She wiped her face and went to her door. On the back, she had a list of things she needed to remember to do. She stared at “Befriend Myra” and shook her head at herself. She took the pen and wrote, “Wash Face”. She locked her door and made her way back to her bed. Lifting the mattress, she pulled out a small stack of papers. She pulled the bottom one out specifically and wrote the date elegantly at the top.
Letting her emotions go free, she began to write into her tear-stained journal.

When Myra woke the next day, she could immediately tell something was up. There was too much noise in the living room. When she went to investigate, she found Fia, Naomi, Mark, Earl, and a boy she didn’t recognize all sitting and talking.
          “Myra!” Fia exclaimed. “Earl just invited us to join your vacation!”
          Myra was immediately stunned. Vacation? How come she had never been told? It probably has something to do with how I basically arrived two days ago.
          Naomi seemed to recognize this problem, too. “Um, did we actually tell Myra?”
          Earl’s excited face immediately fell. “Oh, uh…well…maybe I got a bit carried away,” he admitted with a guilty shrug. “We’re going to Florida for a week.”
          “Florida?!” exclaimed Myra.
          “Living conditions there are awful,” the boy Myra didn’t recognize agreed. “I used to live there. I’m not terribly thrilled that we’re going back.”
          “You don’t have to come,” Naomi reminded him.
          “I need a break,” John countered, a tear beginning to form. “Please. As long as I can get away from here, I’m fine.”
          Myra wondered why he was so bent on leaving. Before she could ask, however, Earl cut in. “It’s alright with your families, by the way,” Earl told the kids. “John’s were perhaps…too eager, but the rest thought it’d be a brilliant idea.”
          “I need to pack…” Myra interrupted, although she had no idea what she would pack.
          “Naomi, why don’t you help Myra?” Earl told the unwilling sister. “The rest of us will load the van.”
         
Naomi could tell Myra didn’t want help, even though no words were spoken. Maybe that was why Naomi could tell.
          Eventually, after going through clothes for about five minutes, Myra sighed and slammed the drawer to the dresser. “How am I supposed to pack? None of this actually belongs to me. It’s like…stealing.”
          “Or borrowing,” offered Naomi with a small shrug. “Just choose several pairs of shorts and a week’s worth of tank tops, and you’ll be fine.”
          “Why not this?” Myra frowned while holding up a pretty shirt.
          “It has long sleeves,” Naomi replied, a hint of a grin touching her face. “I went to Florida every year for as long as I can remember, so trust me when I say you’ll want to avoid wearing that. Especially since it’s summer.”
          “Oh,” Myra muttered. She stuffed the shirt back in the drawer without folding it, again.
          Naomi smiled and turned back to the closet she was rummaging through, and then froze. A tear began to come to her eye.
          “What is it?” Myra asked, going up to the closet.
          Naomi didn’t reply at first. She knew all Myra was going to see was a white sleeveless dress with swirling golden patterns. “It was my mother’s,” she told Myra quietly. “I had forgotten about it.”
          “Oh.” Myra seemed disappointed, for some reason. “What happened to her?”
          “It doesn’t matter,” Naomi told her, trying as hard as she could to shut out the memories. She glanced at Myra’s bag. “Come on, let’s finish. Father wants to leave as soon as we can. And don’t worry about breakfast, he stop at fast food places once every hour.”

For the first half of the trip, Myra sat in the front with Earl. The trip from Thomasville, Texas, to Crestview, Florida, which they drove in one day, had taken almost eleven hours.
          But when Myra went to get in the front seat when they got ready to leave Crestview, she was stopped by Fia. “Um, do you think I could sit there, now?” she asked nervously. “If you don’t mind, of course!”
          “Uh, sure,” Myra shrugged, and climbed back to where Fia had been seated on the way over. Next to her was the boy she hadn’t actually gotten to meet.
          “I’m John,” the boy told her, sticking out his hand. She shook it.
          “Myra.”
          “I know.” He didn’t smile. Instead, it seemed solemn. Almost…jealous.
          Why would he be jealous of me? I’ve got nothing. Does he wish he had a rich family, too?
          Myra didn’t bother asking. She just leaned towards the window and stared out. The car began to move, and once they hit the main roads, Myra began whispering the names of things she saw. She fell asleep fast, and dreamed of dragons.

Comments

  1. “Living conditions there are awful,” the boy Myra didn’t recognize agreed. “I used to live there. I’m not terribly thrilled that we’re going back.” The shade...personally, I prefer Florida to where I'm from.
    “Naomi, why don’t you help Myra?” Earl told the unwilling sister. “The rest of us will load the van.” Quick to get things started, I see.
    A tear began to come to her eye. I can't be the only one who thinks these characters cry....a lot.
    Dragons...why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florida is awful for those who dislike heat; like John (that's the boy's name)
      Yep!
      Well, Myra and Naomi both last relatives shortly before the story begins. Naomi lost her mother, and Myra lost her entire family, plus her friends. Those two are therefore going to cry a lot. Mark is also under a lot of emotional stress, because all his friends lean on him for support, so he has to deal with their problems plus his own, so he might cry occasionally. Fia is very lighthearted, though, and therefore probably will never cry, and Ethan and John, like any generalized males, aren't easily emotionally moved. Although, John might have his moments...

      Delete
    2. Very emotionally unstable group of people...sounds like my kind of party xD

      Delete
    3. Lol I just realized I didn't have to explain the boy's name, he introduces himself in this chapter XD How could I forget something I wrote so shortly beforehand? lol
      Anyhow, yeah, it sounds kinda like a group you'd fit in well with. You could also probably eventually learn something from them; I've been mapping out a cool character arc

      Delete
    4. I feel a tiny bit insulted but not in a mean way xD I really like this story so far. Can't wait to read the rest

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! Aww, how sweet, the box was a present! I love this, your characters have such deep backstories and I hate that I love it. XD Really really amazing job, John's character is intriguing, and I like the bond Myra and Naomi started to form! Excited to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but what was in the box?! To Be Continued! :D
      You will not believe how much planning/notes have gone into (and are still going into) this novel. It's. Insane. Well, compared with how many notes I usually take lol

      Delete
    2. Haha! I bet, with my novel, I literally just think as I write and update the plot lines later since as you could imagine, most of the time it becomes a jumbled mess. And that's awesome, I love how everything is eventually revealed, It turned out to be a gift!!! Didn't expect that, you through me off when you said it could have been a board game and then she went and played board games with Fia, I didn't expect that. XD I bet this takes a lot of planning though, its really well developed and organized. :)

      Delete
    3. That's usually how I write. I take some notes here and there, but they're useless. Most of it is head-knowledge. It always comes back to bite me lol

      Delete
  3. Wow, so many complex and mysterious characters. And yet again, you happily troll the readers on what happened to Naomi's mom. XD
    Who's this John character? It's killing me!
    Oh, Earl is an evil genius. He is making Naomi and Myra bond by long extended road trip together. So much for Myra locking herself in her room. Either it's going to work out and they'll be best friends by the time they survive the road trip, or they are going to come out hating each other. I wonder how it's going to turn out.
    I've been to Florida before, and all I can say is that you described the weather pretty accurately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I leave more mystery lol XD
      John is...well, you'll find out XD He takes on a more dominant personality in the next chapter.
      Huh, decent idea; but the road trip is really a way for Myra to bond with someone else...
      Yes I have XD I live in Florida, and I was THRILLED about the cold front that went through! The cold front that actually ended with mid-60s as a high! :D

      Delete
  4. I think I've run out of things to comment, I've remembered to click notify me from now on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"

Nexus Mad Libs

I assume most of you are familiar with what Mad Libs are. Basically, you're given a bunch of blanks to fill in, and you do so without knowing what the story is. Each blank has a part of speech labeling it, and that blank needs something that fits the part of speech. For example: Adjective: ________ --> Adjective: Explosive In the end, we usually have a hilarious end result that makes no sense whatsoever. One example is this (which is a real result I got once with my siblings): "Another way to help you fall asleep faster is drinking a nuclear glass of warm vinegar ." First, let's go over some rules. Obviously, keep it family friendly. This still goes for all blog content. Do not submit two words in a row. Submit one, and when someone else does one, you may do another. Submit through comments. That'll make it easier for me to assemble the final result. The category is Medieval Heroes . Here are the blanks: Adjective: Constipated (Kyra) Per

Q/A With Shaly

This was bound to happen, like so much that the one that is probably next is I don't know... The Poet of Steel or Spitfire or Lady Knight, or just some other crazy. Plus, you guys know the drill. Mark's Addition : So...well...yeah, if anyone else wants to do one, let me know. Apparently, this is the thing to do on my blog right now, though I admit, I have no clue why.