Skip to main content

Jedi Fallen Order Final Review: Is It Worth It?

Obviously, I've been posting a lot of stuff about this awesome game, but I haven't gotten into how the game works, and whether the game's worth it. I'll go over many aspects of the game, and in the end, reveal my (not so secret) opinion. And don't worry, this is spoiler-free.

First up, let's talk graphics. I've heard people say the graphics are stunning. Star Wars Battlefront II (2017) is apparently one of the best games, when it comes to graphics, and people are comparing Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) to Battlefront II. I don't see it, though. The graphics are great, yes, but the graphics don't transition as well as they do in Battlefront II, and it doesn't seem very fluid. One example is the appearance of any wookiee. They are a mess. Literally. I encourage you to google what a wookiee looks like in this game. Furthermore, graphics don't fully load very quickly, which is fine usually, but when you're trying to settle on a new outfit or BD-1 skin or Mantis paint job, you can count on working on it for thirty minutes, maybe longer.

Next up, the combat. I started on Story difficulty, which was insanely easy. Then I leveled it up to Jedi Knight difficulty. Later, when I play, I'm going to go to Jedi Master, because in Story and Jedi Knight, I have never died. I keep hearing people say you can't play through Jedi: Fallen Order without dying, yet I'm more than 90% done with the game, and I still have no clue what happens when you die. Jedi Master should pose a challenge, however, and Jedi Grandmaster is apparently provides a true Dark Souls experience; and for those of you who don't know, Dark Souls is often considered one of the most challenging video games of all time. The combat in Jedi: Fallen Order is supposedly based off Dark Souls (if so, Dark Souls did combat right; it's awesome), so Dark Souls veterans might be right at home in Jedi Grandmaster difficulty. I'm disappointed with the locking mechanic, however. Simply moving the mouse changes your target, and since I do that a ton accidentally, I can have the perfect final blow lined up, and then the target randomly changes and my character whirls and throws the attack at an enemy that is way out of range. So, I never use the targeting system, I just maneuver my character manually.

Exploration is a big topic in this game, and it doesn't disappoint. Unfortunately, you can't explore Dathomir before Kashyyyk very effectively, or Kashyyyk before Zeffo, so in the end, the order of planets you explore is linear. But the maps are quite the opposite, and have plenty of options for how to get to places. If you want to get from Point A to Point B, there'll often be at least 2-3 ways to get there, though there are a bunch of exceptions to this. Overall, I'm thrilled with exploration.

The story is EPIC. A point was brought up about character development, and I concede that Cal is one of the few characters who actually has good character development, but it is, nonetheless, a great story. The ending shocked me, though I won't say why so we avoid spoilers.

Lastly, I want to touch on customization. The Mantis customization must have something right, because I'm thoroughly unhappy with each paint scheme. Why is that a good thing? Because I went in not caring, and now I wish I had more options. BD-1 customization is small and insignificant, yet I always seem to be bugged when it doesn't match my outfits, which goes back to the game making me care. (There are a few good BD-1 skins that make me cheer, including one that looks black in sunlight but a reflective gold in artificial lighting.) Cal's ponchos have neat designs, yet I usually leave them off, now that I've unlocked the Outlaw outfit design for Cal, which makes him look like a Sith. Lightsaber customization is the highlight, though. I touched on that with another article, but what I'll say is, it's definitely the highlight of not only customization, but the entire game.

What is my final impression? Best. Game. Ever. In my opinion, anyways. I love everything from the bottom up, and I can see myself spending a ton of time on this game. It's truly a masterpiece, and takes everything I want Star Wars to be and makes it playable. I haven't played the Force Unleashed games, yet I'd wager Jedi: Fallen Order is on the same level as Force Unleashed, if not better.

Also, to put your concerns to rest, you can count on this being one of the final Jedi: Fallen Order posts. I might occasionally post with funny stories, fan-fiction short stories, or related content, but this is the final major post dedicated to the game.

Comments

  1. *shutters at wookiee* btw, that is what they looked like in the original release of Battlefront II

    This is a great review! it is concise, but tells me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know that, but I know that's how Chewie looks in Battlefront (2015) :D

      It's hardly concise lol

      Delete
    2. This isn't concise? Trust me, ANY video game review can be REALLY long, so...yeah, concise. :P

      Delete
    3. Whether or not something is concise is dependent on the reviewer's abilities

      For instance, I write generally short reviews, and in comparison to them, this is really long, so for me, this isn't concise. Compared to others? Yeah it's concise, but for me, it's really NOT

      Delete
  2. Those wookies are kind of scary. Ooh, Dark Souls is hard. I hope JFO isn't that similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I can tell (mostly through youtube videos and reviews, as I've never played Dark Souls), only the hardest game mode in J:FO is actually similar to Dark Souls in difficulty

      I've tried Grandmaster, and I decided I needed to play through the game completely on Master, first xD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"

Nexus Mad Libs

I assume most of you are familiar with what Mad Libs are. Basically, you're given a bunch of blanks to fill in, and you do so without knowing what the story is. Each blank has a part of speech labeling it, and that blank needs something that fits the part of speech. For example: Adjective: ________ --> Adjective: Explosive In the end, we usually have a hilarious end result that makes no sense whatsoever. One example is this (which is a real result I got once with my siblings): "Another way to help you fall asleep faster is drinking a nuclear glass of warm vinegar ." First, let's go over some rules. Obviously, keep it family friendly. This still goes for all blog content. Do not submit two words in a row. Submit one, and when someone else does one, you may do another. Submit through comments. That'll make it easier for me to assemble the final result. The category is Medieval Heroes . Here are the blanks: Adjective: Constipated (Kyra) Per

Q/A With Shaly

This was bound to happen, like so much that the one that is probably next is I don't know... The Poet of Steel or Spitfire or Lady Knight, or just some other crazy. Plus, you guys know the drill. Mark's Addition : So...well...yeah, if anyone else wants to do one, let me know. Apparently, this is the thing to do on my blog right now, though I admit, I have no clue why.