Skip to main content

Watching Time (Novel): Chapter 7 (Extended Pain)


Naomi decided to visit her grandmother again. She didn’t do it often, but she always came for advice. When she knocked on the rickety house, a young lady answered immediately.
          “Hello, Solus,” Naomi told her with a smile. Solus Lupa went under her pen name only, although Earl knew her real name and had promised Naomi that she wasn’t dangerous. “How are you?”
          “Good, good,” Solus responded cheerfully. “Mrs. Scarlett was just wondering when you’d visit again!” Solus hesitated. “She’s still a bit upset about her daughter’s death, though, as I’m sure you are.”
          Mother…
          “It’s getting easier,” Naomi shrugged, forcing her emotions back down. She needed to be strong for her grandmother.
          They entered the house and Naomi gasped. “You look older than you did two weeks ago!” she told her grandmother, who was sitting on a couch, and immediately felt guilty.
          Mrs. Scarlett, her grandmother, simply laughed. “Yes, I do. Time has a funny way of changing your hair.”
          Naomi let go of her breath. She had been worried about offending her grandmother. “How are you doing?”
          “I’m okay,” Mrs. Scarlett assured her. “Trust me, I am not in grief like Solus would lead you to believe. I understand the passing of time.”
          “Oh, please, you barely eat anything, now,” Solus muttered, rolling her eyes.
          “Maybe that means I don’t like your cooking,” Mrs. Scarlett suggested with a playful shrug. Naomi held back a giggle.
          Playful shrugs don’t look too good on old people!
          “So, to what do we owe this visit?” Mrs. Scarlett inquired of Naomi.
          “My new sister, Myra,” Naomi told her. “I keep trying to get closer to her, but…well…she keeps pushing me away.”
          “Did you offer to buy her ice cream?” Solus checked. In response to Naomi’s glare, she muttered a quick, “Just wondering.”
          “Maybe you should be patient,” Mrs. Scarlett suggested. “Why, when I was your age-“
          “Here we go again,” Solus sighed.
          “Shush!” Mrs. Scarlett ordered. “When I was your age, I wanted to change writing for the better. So I started a movement!”
          “Which died within fifty years,” Solus mumbled.
          Ignoring her, Mrs. Scarlett continued. “The movement inspired thousands-“
          “Out of billions of people,” Solus added.
          “-and soon, novels began to appear everywhere!” Mrs. Scarlett finished. “But it took so much patience. Just wait. Soon, Myra will open herself up, and when she does, I bet you’ll be the first to know of it!”
          “Well, she opened herself up to John,” Naomi shrugged. “So she kinda has started.”
          “Well, when she opens herself up to you, you’ll know,” Mrs. Scarlett conceded. “Sometimes it’s best to step back and wait. You’ll see.”
          Naomi hoped she was right.
         
Ethan and Fia stood in front of a waterfall. Fia, as always, was being hyperaware of everything around her, and was worrying about every detail of her appearance. She knew she looked calm to Ethan, but she was anything but.
          Should I have worn my blue dress instead of my red one? Should I have done something to my hair? OH NO, I wore my green sandals, not my black ones!
          And, of course, she noted how she had started thinking in past tense, as if there was no way to change anything. Dummy, there isn’t a way to change anything!
          She felt stupid. Ethan was wearing a gray T-shirt and blue-jeans, as well as having ear-length hair that looked crazy, but she still felt like a complete slob near him.
          He’s so perfect he makes me look stupid. Awesome!
          “So…” Ethan muttered, obviously uncomfortable. Fia frowned at this. He had been uncomfortable all day. Ever since she left for Florida, he had been acting strange.
          I guess that means he’s not very charismatic. Neither am I.
          His next words were unexpected. “How’s school?”
          “Good,” Fia responded nervously. “How’s school for you?”
          “Alright,” Ethan assured her. The silence that followed was unsteady, like they were about to fall off a cliff.

Myra strode into the living room to find strangers talking to Earl. “Um…am I interrupting anything?” she asked.
          “Oh, yes, I forgot!” Earl exclaimed. “Myra, meet my brother Jerome, his wife Emily, his twin sons Kyle and Philip, and his daughter Rebekah.”
          The family waved at Myra.
          “And this is Myra, whom you’ve heard about,” Earl finished.
          Myra made a mental note about them. Jerome looked a lot like Earl, but his hair was more gray than white, and his face seemed boxier. But Emily looked foreign. Her first guess was Mexican, although she knew she had a hard time distinguishing Mexican, Portuguese, and Cuban, so she wasn’t positive. Emily and their three children all had smooth black hair that seemed to almost reflect light, and all of them seemed to have no use for combs, as their hair was all a giant mess, although Emily put hers in a ponytail and Rebekah wore it in a bun.
          “More Hammingtons,” Myra noted. How do they stand the name?
          “Well, most of us, yes,” Jerome shrugged. “Rebekah is adopted. But, she is part of the family, nonetheless!”
          Rebekah gave a small smile. “Hi.”
          Myra compared Emily and Rebekah’s faces. They looked shockingly similar, except for the fact that Emily had a few wrinkles that Rebekah was missing. “I’d have guessed Jerome was the adopted one,” Myra told them. This caused a round of laughter to erupt, and Myra just shrugged.
          “You are such a comedian!” Emily declared. “Rebekah is, too. She loves making wacky jokes.”
          Rebekah shrugged wordlessly. Myra began to feel like Rebekah was cool. Another adopted daughter who tries to keep to herself!
          “Want to see my room? Myra asked the shy girl, who hesitantly nodded and got up to follow Myra. She belated realized she had forgotten to clean up. She was glad, at least, that her dirty clothes weren’t spread across the floor mindlessly. “Sorry for the mess,” she apologized.
          “It looks exactly like my room,” Rebekah shrugged. “And I don’t just mean the mess. My bed is against that wall, too, the door is in this position, and the closet is there. I don’t have a wardrobe, though.”
          Myra was initially stunned. She had said precisely one word, and then as soon as she was away from her family, she started speaking a ton. “You weren’t talking that much before we came here,” Myra commented.
          “I’m at war with Kyle for destroying my favorite cape,” Rebekah muttered, her expression growing dark. “Oh, trust me, I’ve got something in mind for him, later.”
          “You…wear capes?” Myra wondered.
          “Occasionally, yeah,” Rebekah nodded. “I love role-playing. My…sister and I used to do it together. Before the accident.”
          Myra knew when enough questions were asked. “I lost my sister, too. Except, I lost her because she wasn’t adopted by Earl, so we were separated. I can’t imagine how hard it’d be if she had died instead.”
          “It’s not as difficult as you’d think,” Rebekah sighed. “All my friends died of poverty when it should have been me. Then we managed to get a financial foothold. We bought our own house, a car, we were eating great meals, and then my grandpa died. And then my aunt. My parents and sister were going to drive up here to be with my aunt before she died, but they were in an accident, and…they died, too. I went to an orphanage and made new friends, but they all began to die as well. I was eventually adopted, and then my family died again, and then I was adopted again. I’ve kinda gotten used to death by now.”
          Myra stared unseeing at her wall. That was a lot of death. She would have died of grief before reaching that point. She’s like one of those book characters who’s unrealistically strong when it comes to emotions. Come to think of it, if this was a book, she would probably be the mentor. I wonder, is she the kind that has my back no matter what, or is she the kind that will abandon me in my moment of greatest need?

Comments

  1. This is so good! Your descriptions are amazing and I love the characters, I love Ethan and Fia's relashionship, what. is. going. to. happen. next? I need to know xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another awesome chapter, Mark. I actually forgot all about the cameos until reading this. That scene was so funny! :D I thought it portrayed everyone well.

    “Shush!” Mrs. Scarlett ordered. “When I was your age, I wanted to change writing for the better. So I started a movement!”
    “Which died within fifty years,” Solus mumbled.
    Ignoring her, Mrs. Scarlett continued. “The movement inspired thousands-“
    “Out of billions of people,” Solus added.
    “-and soon, novels began to appear everywhere!” Mrs. Scarlett finished.

    This interaction is gold. I loved it. And I think Scarlett is currently changing writing for the better. :) Anyway, I really liked reading this chapter, and I await for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm an old lady!

    Thank you, Mark. For some how, the way I was portrayed and just putting me in your book has made me so happy. I keep smiling. Well, I really liked this chapter. I love the way you wrote it, with your descriptions and clear writing style. ( Though, Solus kept cramping my style. Well, I told her she cooked terribly. I guess we're even.)

    P.S.
    Do you really see me as the way you wrote me? Or was it just pure imagination that you put into uhh... I guess me, your character? (Well, technically I'm a character now, right? Its so cool and weird at the same time.)

    P.P.S

    I like your character Rebekah. And I love how you gave her name the Biblical spelling. I have character a named Rebekah Alonzo and if I ever have a girl, that's what her name would be. That or Clara or Prudence. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be the only person I know excited about age :/ Lol

      Lol Thanks! (And yes, Solus is a bit of a teenager, isn't she? Lol)

      Well, not really. First up, I had to imagine you older, and having lived in a slightly different time period. Then, I also don't know you very well, so there were gaps to fill. I tried my best, though, and I think it may be semi-accurate, Idk. I guess we'll never know, since you are a 21st Century Teenager, not a 21st Century Grandma :P

      Were you the one that submitted that character into the Character Creation Guide? Lol I have a Rebekah Prudence Alonso (maybe a last name typo?) in the character creation guide, and same someone clicked the "Giving poor old me a character to use", so I decided to loosely base this cousin off of the character :/

      Clara's a great name; if I ever had a daughter, though, I'd probably name her Sofi (or Sophie) or Chloe. Idk, names that have that sound at the end just seem so adorable in my opinion lol

      Delete
    2. That's cool, Mark. :)

      And maybe, I gave poor old you a character. I wasn't to sure, how you would use that character, anyway. Though, now I know. I do think it was a typo, on my end on commenting. Google said, "Alonso," was incorrect. So, I put "Alonzo," because the red squiggle was bugging me.

      If you've seen my nick name, my dad thought the same thing when naming my siblings and me. We all have that similar sounding, "lee," on the end of our names.

      Me, on the other hand, I love old elegant names.

      Delete
    3. Lol That's hilarious XD Red lines bug us all

      Oh, cool :D I did notice your name had that, but I didn't know it was the same for your siblings lol

      Delete
  4. Oh, Lucy, that's so sweet. I'm glad you think I'm changing writing for the better. I not sure how yet, but thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "was worrying about every detail of her appearance" Me
    I like Rebekah, she's...interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also like me, in some cases. If a potential friend is in front of me, or if I'm with certain people, I feel SUPER conscientious :/ Fia is heavily based off me lol

      She definitely is; but you just see her from Myra's perspective, here. Chapter 8 will reveal Rebekah's past, and not just what she claims it is

      Delete
  6. Oooh! The cameos! Nice!
    Solus is really mysterious and snarky. The dynamic between Scarlett and Solus is amazing and hilarious.
    Who is Solus in relation to Scarlett?
    COME ON FIA! HE'S A BUM! HE'S NOT IN SCHOOL! AGHHHHH!!!! (please be busted!)
    ooh! Myra is getting a friend! Cool. Rebekah is cool. It's interesting to see all the parallels in their characters.
    lol. Yay! your tradition of breaking the 3rd wall. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the CAMEOS! :D
      I hoped I got Solus right; obviously I have little contact with her in real life
      Solus is there to take care of Scarlett, because Scarlett's a little on the...er...old side. They aren't blood relatives, though. Like the text claims, though, Earl knows Solus' real name, and what the text doesn't claim is he knows her family, so Solus is obviously trustworthy
      Ethan will be found out, trust me, just might take a chapter or two before Fia catches on
      Rebekah is actually my favorite character, now; I've been slowly writing the next chapter, which focuses on her past, and she's WAY more fun to write than Myra lol

      Delete
    2. I think you got Solus pretty close to spot on. :)
      oh. So she's crazy grandma's caretaker.
      YES!
      She's interesting, I just don't know enough about her.

      Delete
    3. Awesome! :D Tbh, I was aiming for "Average Teenager Behavior" :/
      Yes, she is XD
      Lol A chapter or two from the chapter I just posted, so prob a bit longer than I led you to believe (sorry)
      Read the next chapter, then you'll know her better :D

      Delete
    4. Well, you did great.
      I gotta read chapter 8

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"

Q/A With Shaly

This was bound to happen, like so much that the one that is probably next is I don't know... The Poet of Steel or Spitfire or Lady Knight, or just some other crazy. Plus, you guys know the drill. Mark's Addition : So...well...yeah, if anyone else wants to do one, let me know. Apparently, this is the thing to do on my blog right now, though I admit, I have no clue why.

Nexus Mad Libs

I assume most of you are familiar with what Mad Libs are. Basically, you're given a bunch of blanks to fill in, and you do so without knowing what the story is. Each blank has a part of speech labeling it, and that blank needs something that fits the part of speech. For example: Adjective: ________ --> Adjective: Explosive In the end, we usually have a hilarious end result that makes no sense whatsoever. One example is this (which is a real result I got once with my siblings): "Another way to help you fall asleep faster is drinking a nuclear glass of warm vinegar ." First, let's go over some rules. Obviously, keep it family friendly. This still goes for all blog content. Do not submit two words in a row. Submit one, and when someone else does one, you may do another. Submit through comments. That'll make it easier for me to assemble the final result. The category is Medieval Heroes . Here are the blanks: Adjective: Constipated (Kyra) Per