Skip to main content

The Program - Prologue (Written by Marysa Writes)

Alex's Pov As much as I hate to admit it, I am a puzzle; an enigma. I can be understood, but not without thought or attentiveness. I believe that's why I am in this program. Or maybe it's to map out the inner workings of my brain so the pretentious idiots who claim to be of higher intelligence can understand what it's like to actually be a person of exorbitant intellect. Breaking my pencil in half and flicking it across the room, I stare at the first draft of my admissions essay. "This is stupid," I mumble when my birth giver walks in the door, carrying an armful of groceries. She sets them on the table space in front of me, "It's not stupid. Do you have any idea how hard it was to convince them to give you this scholarship? You should be thankful." "Thankful for what? You're sending me to a prison!" "It's boarding school, not prison. Now, let me see what you've written so far." I hesitantly slide the paper over to her and she snatches it, in my opinion, rather forcefully. Her eyes scan the paper, a frown growing more apparent with every word she takes in. "What the hell is this?" "My essay." "It's rude." "So is sending me to America. It's realistic. They want me to state why I think I've been admitted into the program and this is my response. They said to be true to myself, so that's exactly what I'm doing." Without giving her a chance to respond, I stomp my way up to my room and slam my door behind me. I don't care if I'm being an insensitive, attitude-driven teen, she had no right admitting me to this program my senior year of high school. And she expects me to be thankful. Thankful for what? Her dragging me away from all my friends to America (of all places!), from prom, from graduation to be a test subject for a school that thinks IQ tests accurately measure one's ability to comprehend information. .............................................................................................................................. Oli's POV Staring at the pimple about to erupt on Mr. Wake, the guidance counselors' sweaty nose was not how I envisioned the beginning of my senior year. Even though the volcano staring me down is quite grotesque, it beats AP statistics. "After much consideration, we've decided that maybe this school isn't the best option for you." Mr. Wake's nasally voice brought me back to reality. "Wait, what? But I haven't done anything wrong. You said I'd be able to come back and the accident would be erased from my record completely." He interlocked his stubby sausage fingers over his protruding gut and leaned back in his office chair, "Some other students are.... concerned. I feel it'd be best to enroll you in this program in Denver that has just opened up. Only the most elite students can get into it, and I feel it would benefit you better anyway." All I can do is stare. "What... What did my father say to this?" "He's on his way right now. I briefed him this morning, and he seems to think it's a great opportunity for you." Just as I'm about to respond, my father knocks on the small office's door. Mr. Wake stands to greet him, "Ahh, hello Mr. Davis, we were just discussing The Program. Please, have a seat." Silently, my father sits in the faux leather chair next to mine. Mr. Wake claps his hands together. "Now, I understand that this program is a little far from here, but- " "1,800 miles, actually," I interject, awarding a warning glare from my father. "Yes, well, I understand that 1800 miles," He looks to me, "is a relatively far distance for a year, but it's an all-expense paid move, transportation, utilities, everything will be taken care of. The Program was established for gifted students, so as you can imagine, I had to convince them that the past year for Olivia doesn't truly reflect her intellectual capabilities. All I need from you Mr. Davis, is for you to fill out a couple forms and we can get her enrolled by the fifth." A week. That's all I have left here. I feel numb, unsure whether a new start from my past mistakes is a relief or giving in to my weaknesses.

Comments

  1. I'm very intrigued. :) I want more, this ended way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't claim to be desperate, since I have read beyond this point, but I do think you should post it here occasionally, Marysa :D

      Delete
    2. Idk MirrorAnt, should I give her a link or post it by chapter on here?

      Delete
    3. Idk; bear in mind, link would allow the public on it, same as chapter-by-chapter. Ultimately, it's your choice

      Delete
    4. I might do Chapter by chapter, we'll see

      Delete
  2. Wow, I really loved reading this. This is so intriguing and interesting! This kind of reminded me of "The Testing" by Joelle Charbonneau. It's a really good novel (a trilogy actually, but I haven't read the next two books... been putting it off), and I see some of these aspects in your prologue. Anyway, I enjoyed reading this and I hope to see more of this story. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. The first paragraph is the summary of me.
    Birth giver--huh. that's an interesting phrasing. Is their a reason?
    I love how you described Mr. Wake. The grotesquely detailed (this is a compliment) description bled over to the readers idea of his character, manipulating our view. It was amazingly well done!
    ARRRRRRHHHHHHHGGGGGGG!!!!!!! PLEASE WRITE MORE!!! THIS IS TOO GOOD TO END!!!!!! *falls down onto hands and knees* Please! More! XD
    This. Is. Awesome. I have so many questions! What did Oli do? Alright, only one I guess. XD But anyway, it's awesome. Alex intrigues me. I wonder if she'll be a redemptive character or not. I love the parallels between Obi and Alex's origins. Interesting. Very interesting...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Would You Rather...? (#1)

These "Would You Rathers" are small, but they're meant to start debates. Debates, not arguments! Anyways, here's the first one: "In a mystery novel, would you rather have a friend by your side helping you while risking his/her own life... ...or would you rather have your friend safe at home counting on you to solve the mystery and come out safely?"

Nexus Mad Libs

I assume most of you are familiar with what Mad Libs are. Basically, you're given a bunch of blanks to fill in, and you do so without knowing what the story is. Each blank has a part of speech labeling it, and that blank needs something that fits the part of speech. For example: Adjective: ________ --> Adjective: Explosive In the end, we usually have a hilarious end result that makes no sense whatsoever. One example is this (which is a real result I got once with my siblings): "Another way to help you fall asleep faster is drinking a nuclear glass of warm vinegar ." First, let's go over some rules. Obviously, keep it family friendly. This still goes for all blog content. Do not submit two words in a row. Submit one, and when someone else does one, you may do another. Submit through comments. That'll make it easier for me to assemble the final result. The category is Medieval Heroes . Here are the blanks: Adjective: Constipated (Kyra) Per

Q/A With Shaly

This was bound to happen, like so much that the one that is probably next is I don't know... The Poet of Steel or Spitfire or Lady Knight, or just some other crazy. Plus, you guys know the drill. Mark's Addition : So...well...yeah, if anyone else wants to do one, let me know. Apparently, this is the thing to do on my blog right now, though I admit, I have no clue why.